The quiet 2014 Atlantic Hurricane Season is no reason for Floridians to be complacent about protecting their homes. Waiting until it’s officially hurricane season to add upgrades to protect your home maybe too late. As a homeowner, you should take the time during the off season to assess your home’s preparedness to withstand severe weather. In Florida, that protection should include installing home features to prevent windstorm damage. Not only do these wind mitigation features make your home stronger, they protect the home and can also lower your home insurance premiums over the long term.
The most common wind mitigation features include:
- Storm shutters and panels that protect windows and other openings from wind, rain and projectiles
- Doors and windows built to withstand wind pressure and projectiles
- Roofing materials and coverings that shield your home from wind and rain
- Special attachments for roofs and walls to prevent the roof from being blown off by severe winds
- Roof and building shapes that are more resistant to high winds
Once you’ve added these features to your home, having a Wind Mitigation Inspection should be your next step. These specialized inspections are beneficial because they:
- Inspect mitigation features present in your home
- Review how you can make your home stronger and more resistant to damage
- Provide written documentation to submit to your insurance company requesting premium discounts.
When it comes time for your inspection, you will want to provide copies of any documents you have from your upgrades. The inspector will perform a comprehensive inspection of your home and property, including:
- Roof shape, materials, condition and connections
- Home’s basic structure and construction materials
- Attic interior
- Exterior and garage doors, windows and skylights
- Wall construction
- Storm shutters/panels
Our certified home inspection professionals have the tools, knowledge and experience to make sure your home can endure the upcoming storms while also saving you money. Call Buy Your Side Home Inspections to schedule your inspection today. 407.780.0911.