Florida Insurance Companies are required by the Office of Insurance Regulation to give their customers policy discounts on premiums for specific enhancements to their property. If you are an owner of improved property in Florida, then you are potentially missing out on hundreds – possibly thousands – of dollars of discounts on your annual wind insurance premiums!
Many homeowners don’t bother to get the inspection because they believe their older homes don’t have any “upgrades.” It’s really quite rare that we inspect a home in the Orange – Osceola Country area of Central Florida that doesn’t get some type of discount … usually you have at least a couple of qualifying features.
We’ve talked before about how the structural connection of the roof to every rafter/truss and walls by way of wraps, ties or hurricane clips can reduce premiums, but other features that can help save on your premiums every year include:
- Verification that the structure was designed and built to 1994 South Florida Building Code or the 2001 Florida Building Code or later
- Verification that the predominant roof covering installed meets 1994 South Florida Building Code or the 2001 Florida Building Code or later
- Verification that the roof deck attachment (including the size and spacing of nails, screws, and adhesives) can withstand uplift of 103 pounds per square foot or 182 pounds per square foot or better
- Determination of the roof geometry – hip roof, non-hip roof or flat roof – a hip roof with less than 10% of any other roof shape and less than 100 square feet of flat area will benefit; some, albeit rare, insurance companies may also credit for a gable roof with verification that gable end bracing meets the minimum standard of the 2001 FL building code
- Verification of the wall construction type – reinforced masonry or poured concrete equaling 70% or more of the wall construction may qualify, depending on your carrier
- Verification of the presence water resistance to protect the dwelling from water intrusion in the form of self-adhering polymer, modified bitumen “peel and stick” or a foam adhesive barrier is applied to every seam on the roof deck and applied to each side of every rafter/truss
- Verification of wind-borne debris protection on every exterior opening – including all windows, doors, garage doors, and skylights – with impact-resistant coverings that meet Miami-Dade Building Code
To see if your home qualifies, BUY YOUR SIDE will 1) conduct an evaluation to determine the wind-mitigating features of your home; 2) offer suggestions for improvements and repairs you can make to strengthen it against high winds; and 3) submit the state-standard inspection report to your insurance carrier.
Commercial properties also qualify for mitigation discounts. Wind features and prices vary according to building stories – 1 to 3 stories (Standard UMVIF form): 4 to 6 stories (Type II Mitigation Verification Affidavit), and 7+ stories (Type III Mitigation Verification Affidavit).
Hurricane season starts in just a few short weeks. Don’t delay; call us today! 407.780.0911